Sunday, June 14, 2009

Swan Lake.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned in an email to my sister that Swan Lake was going to be showing at the Artscape and I was thinking of taking Abigail to see it.

Next thing I know she's on the phone asking if she can buy the tickets for me for my birthday which is in a few days time!
So we did a little Google-ing and discovered that it was 3 hours long and decided that maybe it would be too long for Abigail. I ran the idea by Grant and he was not all that keen on 3 hours of Swan Lake so I invited my friend Mandy who's birthday it was on Thursday.

Bev arranged the tickets and they were ready and waiting for us this afternoon.
Our seats were brilliant. Second row of the balcony in the centre! You can't beat that! We had a perfect view.
The performance was very good and we enjoyed it very much.
We were well stocked with peanut Chuckles (the worlds best chocolate peanuts!) and Brazil Nutties.

The sets and costumes were beautiful, I kept thinking that it looked very Russian, especially the costumes. Then halfway through I realised - duh, Tchaikovsky was Russian!!
It was lovely to go to a "non-child related" show as mostly I get to go to Peter Rabbit and Noddy - which are good too, but it was nice to have a grown-up outing for a change!
Actually it's my second afternoon in a row without my kids in tow so I can't really complain. Thanks to my parents for once again stepping up to babysit - not that I gave you much of a choice!!!
Abigail probably would have managed as the storyline was very clear, not vague as some ballet's can be and also she actually knows the story quite well from watching the Barbie in Swan Lake DVD! So, the next time I see a ballet is showing I'll take her along.

Thanks Bev, VERY much for the tickets it was a lovely, relaxing afternoon.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Oh my turn to be jealous!! We've just acquired the dvd barbie Swan Lake (for Lea of course!) and the music is so lovely... and I remembered that a while ago, I was offered by Phillip to go and watch the real thing at Artscape. I don't know why I often don't take him up on his guenine offers!! Anyway, I didn't go but I would have loved to be with you on that balcony!!
It seemed to have been quite an outing! Glad you had fun!