Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Cinnamon Buns.

For a while I have been wanting to try baking cinnamon buns. I've seen them on my friend, Taryn's blog and also sampled them at some of her parties/teas and they are very yummy!

So today I decided I would do some baking with the girls and give the buns a try.

Well, they didn't work out quite right but they were edible and everyone asked for more! So they couldn't have been too bad.

You have to start with bread dough which I have never made before (I lie, I think I had to make it once for Home Ec. at school but that was yonks ago). It was a bit of a procedure but it did end up in dough!

First you have to soak the yeast in water and melt butter and sugar in warm milk.

Then combine the 2 with the bread flour and knead and knead and knead.

And knead and knead and knead!

Then the idea is to let it rise for an hour.

Well, here it is "rising" except that it didn't!
At that point I needed to ask Taryn a question and she gave me a tip to put the dough in a warmed oven - well, then it rose! Yay.



Lots of sticky dough!


By then I had mixed the butter, sugar and cinnamon together to make the filling.


By that time one baker had gone to play at a friend so Niave helped me to roll,

spread, sprinkle and cut. (The spreading was quite a delight - as you can see!)


Once you've placed the "wheels" in a baking tray they have to rise again! Then you pop them in the oven and let them bake.

By the time they were ready it was 5 o'clock and time for supper! They were left in a bit long (although I took them out 5 minutes before the recipe said to) so they were a bit crispy and brown but doused in warm custard they went down a treat - almost like a cinnamonny bread pudding.

So next time I know to do a few things differently and definitely halve the amount of baking time!

1 comment:

Taryn @ Hayes Happenings said...

Well done, Debs! They look fantastic - actually better than mine in the pan! :) It is a bit of a procedure, but it gets quicker the more you do it. :) Thx for the comments on our blog - will respond over there :)