Friday, September 26, 2008

Principal's award!


Today was the last day of the term. At Abigail's school, on the last day, they have a special assembly and usually hand out awards etc.

One of the awards is the Principal's Award, awarded to one child in each grade for their acheivement that term.

Well Abigail got the award for Grade 1 this term!!

She was very surprised and told me afterwards that she was shaking!!


Here she is getting her award.


And here is the certificate.



They always end off by singing the school song which gives me goosebumps every time, today was no different!


Last night I attended the 40th birthday celebration of Valley Pre-primary School, where I used to teach until the end of 2005. It was very special and strange to be on the "outside" of proceedings, as before I would've been involved in the preparations etc.


Anyway instead singing Happy Birthday when they cut the cake we all had to sing the school song, that gave me goosebumps too and not because it was freezing - but it was! It was held outside in what would have been a lovely setting with lanterns in the trees etc. but there was a howling wind which made it a bit chilly.


Apart from having time to catch with people I haven't seen in years, teachers, parents and others, I came away feeling very encouraged as we heard the story of how Valley began. I have of course heard the story before, more than once, but this time I had a different perspective. Here's the story: Valley started in 1968 in a corrugated iron "building" close to the beachfront. They had about 20 children. Now Valley is the best pre-primary in Hout Bay (I'm not at all biased!) and they have an annual enrolment of 120 children with a looooong waiting list.


So it made me think that maybe one day my little school will grow into a bigger school and be a fully-fledged pre-primary school!


Well, maybe one day!!

No comments: