Thursday, October 1, 2009

Ouma's birthday.

Today we celebrated my mom's birthday - it's been a week of birthdays, always is at this time of year. She was fortunate to have been able to take the day off work and it was just as well as with all that we did today, there was definitely no time for work!! (all that in another post)

Our Ouma is very loved in this family. She is the first person the girls want to call when something happens. Abigail loses a tooth - Ouma must be the first to know. Niave can't get her own way - she wants to phone Ouma! Even last week when Niave was suffering with a terrible earache on 2 separate occasions, she was crying for Ouma.

She is the kind of Ouma that goes the extra mile and rarely says that something can't be done. She will think of a way. Often one of the girls will ask me to do or make something and I'll say "oh no, that just can't be done" but just let them spend an afternoon at Ouma's house and voila - it's done and made!! I remember when I was little she made a whole Monopoly game for me because my brother and sister wouldn't let me play (it's that whole younger sibling thing that I was talking about!). She wrote out every card and made all the money etc. etc. etc. I'm sure it was the last thing she felt like doing that evening but she did it anyway.


So a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Ouma from all of us.

1 comment:

nicnak said...

Hi Debbie

This is a wonderful tribute to Mom and Ouma. I think that too often children (and that includes me) do not pay tribute to our parents often enough. More often than not tributes are reserved for funeral services – and then it is too late, by far. I am sure many children suffer from regrets and guilt feelings in later years after their parents have departed this mortal life!!
The 5th Commanment, Exodus 20:12, says “Honour your father and your mother,” and I’m sure that includes showing how much you appreciate them. I remember that Gran often said, “don’t put flowers on my grave – give them to me now while I’m alive so that I can appreciate them.” It is good for parents, and others, to know how much they are appreciated. Thank you for this wonderful thought. Mom appreciates it very much. Well done!!

Love
Dad