Saturday, July 4, 2009

The first week of the holidays.

I have enjoyed this week mostly because of not having to get up at 6:00 a.m and drag a cold, tired girl out of her bed to get ready for school!
I must say, I've overdone the sleeping in just a bit!
But we did also get some other things done.

The week was a warm, windy one so there was a lot of washing on the go - my no.1 complaint about winter is the washing. It's been a lot better since acquiring a tumble dryer (but then again, with the electricity hike who can afford to use one?!) but wet washing that hangs for days and remains wet is just the worst. I get a great deal of satisfaction out of taking dry washing off the line!! I know, it's absurd, but hey we have a LOT of washing in this house and 1 day of undried washing is enough to put a spanner in the works.

Niave playing in the empty washing basket!
ANYWAY, enough of that, we also entered a new phase in our lives and that is taking Niave with us to the movies! Abigail was a seasoned movie watcher by 3 and a half, but I'd always had (huge) reservations about taking Niave. But when we were heading out on Wednesday morning and she was destined to stay at home, I just couldn't leave her behind so she came along and it was all fine! Granted, we missed the trailers which are always in my mind a) too loud and b) inappropriate so that was a positive spin on the s-l-o-w service at the popcorn counter! Also, it was about DINOSAURS (Ice Age 3)! And Niave LOVES dinosaurs so she was very excited. She sat there eating her popcorn as if she's been doing it all her life! The movie was good and everyone had a good time.

I also managed to get some more decluttering done. I carted a boot load full of recycling to Oasis and sorted out the medicines (boy did I throw away a ton of expired medicine) and now we have a "medicine cupboard"


(Notice how Grant has a box just for his medicines!)



and a lot more space on the counter for other things.



I was so pleased with myself shortly after I'd finished that task, Abigail came to ask me for a piece of cotton wool, and instead of rushing around looking for it and in the end not finding it I was able to say (while nonchalantly opening the cupboard door) "yes, here you are" and ever so swiftly take it out of the box!!! Aaah, that's what makes it all worthwhile!

On Friday we baked some crunchies

there are, let me see.... none left!

Today we went to a Princess party for Niaves friend Grace who turns 4 on Monday.

(The birthday girl is on the right)

Check out this cake: It was beautiful, it's a vanilla cake with lemon curd, iced in meringue!! I didn't dare have a piece, too rich for me, but it sure looked yummy!


We came home via my parents to see cousins Willow and Marley, had some supper and then home to to bed - Niave was exhausted!

No comments: