Thursday, July 2, 2009

Decluttering:

The MAMMOTH task has begun.

This holiday I vowed to get some "law and order" in this house with regard to the mess!

There is "stuff" everywhere!


I was also inspired by coincidentally (or not) switching on the TV twice to find an Oprah show (series) about decluttering called "The Clean Up Your Messy House Tour" where this guy travels around America barging into peoples houses and reorganising them! It's at times like that that I wish we had a show like that here and he would come knocking on my door! Because
a) he makes it look so easy and
b) I wouldn't have to do it myself!
However, we do not have a show like that here and he is not going to knock on my door, so I have to do it myself!

My goal was to do at least 1 drawer, shelf, toy box or surface a day - lets face it I am on holiday so I don't want to spend it all on sorting out cupboards but there's no time during the term.

So, on Monday morning I tackled the cupboard that has been causing me the most annoyance (due to items falling on my head!), it is also probably the smallest cupboard in the kitchen - Ah, there is method in my madness!!! It took all of about 15 minutes and I felt satisfied that I could relax for the rest of the day - on the decluttering front anyway.

On Tuesday and Wednesday I spent more time decluttering my inbox than any cupboards but today I tackled the spice/baking cupboard and I must say that it is addictive - the sense of order and tidiness.
I also had to find 30 library books that had to be returned ( I have a school card that allows me to take 20 at a time as well as the family cards). I located 24 with ease but we were missing 6 so it forced me to sort out the bookshelves - a little bit anyway, there is still some sorting to be done. But we found the books and took them all back: now that has to be a Debbie Hutton first - ALL the outstanding books taken back to the library in 1 go! Amazing, can't say it's ever happened before!!!

Baking cupboard - before.

And after.


The Oprah show guy had this to say to 1 person: you either have too much stuff or too little space, and I'd have to say that we probably fit into both categories: we DEFINITELY have too much stuff, but also not enough space i.e. cupboard and shelf space.
So, I will soldier on, I am intending to be ruthless in the donation/throw away department but I have to admit that I do find that hard, I am a bit of a hoarder (it runs in the family!) so it's going to be tough. I will be sure to let you know how the process is going...or not!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa Debbs!! Now that looks like a humongous task indeed! I'm being called untidy by Phil but I have the proof that I'm not :)
Good job on that first cupboard!!!