Friday, January 9, 2009

Can we go to the Museum?

Today was going to be an "errands, chores and grocery shopping day" but Abigail's request to go to the museum changed all that! Actually I did still get a fair amount of errands and chores done but the grocery shopping never happened!

It was a good afternoon, my parents were supposed to join us but were delayed and ended up missing the whole museum but were able to join us for feeding the squirrels afterwards.

Niave surprised me again by behaving really well at the museum. She walked (which is a rarity, we don't walk, we run!) and was really interested in all that we saw. She was a little apprehensive at first because she wasn't quite sure if the animals were real, but once she realised that there were not enormous man-eating dinosaurs on show she was fine!

I even contemplated taking them to the Planetarium but the children's shows were finished for the day.

When we were finished at the museum we took a walk through the gardens and met up with my Mom and Dad. The Gardens were really pretty and once again I felt completely safe which is not how I expected to feel.
Armed with 5 packets of peanuts we set off in search of squirrels.
Abigail was immediately surrounded by pigeons and she loved having them sit on her (she gets that trait from my sister, not from me!!).
Before long we were all surrounded, they are rather greedy little birds! One was even helping himself out of the packet!!

We didn't have to look far for squirrels either, they were all over and very sweet to watch.
Niave couldn't understand why they kept running away from her when she walked (ran!) towards them but eventually she was able to stay still long enough to get one eating out of her hand.

"two little girls in a tree!"

We left just after 5pm and by the time I turned into my driveway Niave was fast asleep - in a most uncomfortable position!!

And so the first week (and a bit) of 2009 has come and gone, another busy weekend awaits us, one more week of holidays, then it's back to school!
(By the way, this is another really inexpensive outing, I paid R15 entrance into the museum -kids were free and the 5 packets of peanuts was another R15. Not bad.)

No comments: