Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bunny in the Bushes.

If you have a daughter between the ages of 6 and 10, you may think that this is another title in the Lucy Daniels Animal Ark series, but no.
It is another chapter in the Debbie Hutton Never a Dull Moment series.

Let me tell you the tale.

Yesterday I fetched Niave from school at 12:30 and went shopping for a pair of slip-slops and some shorts. I don't know why it is SO hard to find clothes for my children, but we found something (nothing great, but something) in the 5th shop we tried! So by the time it was grocery shopping time I was all shopped out. Then I found the shop I wanted to shop in in complete chaos due to a strike. I gave up on that idea and went to a more expensive shop and bought less than what I wanted/needed for more than I hoped to pay!

Then it was a rush to fetch Abigail from swimming. We had a brief "visit" at home before we were off again to give my mom a lift home from work. I had devised a plan to leave the girls with her so that I could accomplish a few more tasks without whining children at suicide hour, so I left them there with supper and pyjama's and headed for the library and then to a different branch of the supermarket I'd been to earlier to complete the shopping that I wasn't able to do.

I arrived back at my mom at around 6:15pm - children fed and bathed and ready to be taken home and popped into bed.

At 6:16pm my cellphone rang. It was Grant, he had arrived home and thought he would not be able to get in because he is not able to get to the alarm panel in time to disarm it, but I'd planned for that too and happily informed him that I'd left the alarm off. Everyone happy.

6:17pm My cellphone rings again. Grant's words "You're not going to believe it" immediately led me to think we'd had a break in as a result of the alarm not being set, but thankfully that was NOT the case.

He'd called to tell me there was a bunny hopping around our front garden.

We don't have a bunny.

So, back into the car I got and spent the next 45 minutes to an hour chasing a bunny and trying to catch it.

It is very difficult for 1 person to catch a bunny! Even with a lot of carrots as bait! SO we called for reinforcements, our neighbour Racquel came over armed with a box and a carrot!

In the meantime we called our local vet to see if somebody there could assist us, they couldn't other than to give us the number of a person who had reported a missing rabbit.

Keeping a close eye on the bunny sitting happily in the corner between the agapanthus we made the call. An elated lady on the other end leaped into her car and arrived a few minutes later.

By then there were 4 of us so we were able to catch it, she then discovered it was NOT her beloved "Lulibell" (Tallulah!). I ask you, how many lost bunnies could there be in Plumstead?! Anyway, she managed to calm her down and said she would keep her in case anybody came forward to claim her. We let the vet know too so that they could keep an ear open for any other reports of a missing rabbit!!

We eventually got home at something to 8. And just when I thought I'd planned everything for a smooth evening!!!

I'm hoping tonight will not bring anymore small creatures to explore our garden at dusk but, you just never know, do you?! What I do know is that there were some happy squirrles in my garden this morning!!

No comments: