Tuesday, April 27, 2010

George's marvellous medicine.

On Monday Abigail started reading George's Marvellous Medicine by Roald Dahl to Niave.
I didn't think she'd really understand it much but she does actually seem to follow and has LOVED having her sister read to her. They have almost finished the book and already past the much anticipated part where George's horrible granny shoots through the roof! (It is Roald Dahl after all!!)

Anyway, I had to chuckle last night when I overheard this part of the story:

"you're a nasty little maggot" (this being the granny talking to George) "you're a lazy and dis... dis... - MOM, what does this say? (at this point after having heard the last 2 insulting phrases I suggested "disgusting" but hadn't actually checked the word in the book). As I made my way over to see which word it actually was Niave pipes up "disobedient Abby" - and she was right!!! I was amazed that she could actually pronounce the word and that she got it in context!!

The sentence reads "you're a lazy and disobedient worm" - such endearing sentiments from a grandmother!!!

No comments: