Sunday, March 21, 2010

Back to school!

While I get to visit my old primary school everyday, I haven't been back to my old high school for a very long time, probably since I left which was 18 years ago!
Well, yesterday they celebrated their 50th birthday "Jubilee" and hosted a wonderful afternoon for past pupils.

I was a little apprehensive and also quite curious to see what kind of "state" the school was in.

Well, I needn't have been concerned about either. The reception was very warm and friendly, the setting beautiful and I was pleased to see that things have changed - for the better!!
They have 2 very nice computer labs, a huge drama room, a very busy music department as well as the other "academic" subjects like maths, science etc. which means that they are equipping the girls there with skills that they will definitely use probably more than any subject I took!! When I was there you couldn't take Home Economics and Maths together!! Interesting message there, but I am glad to say that that has changed.


I missed the official welcome and speech by the principal but I later found out that Sans Souci had 21 matrics who took music as an examinable subject last year - more than any other school or music centre in the Western Cape, and we were serenaded by them all afternoon! The music didn't stop! Bands, solo's, quintets - the list goes on. It was really enjoyable.

I didn't see anybody from my year, but I chatted to others that I knew from other years and also many of the teachers that taught me. I don't think I brought back fond memories for many of them, I was not the best behaved pupil, but it seems time heals all and everyone was happy to see each other! Some were a little surprised to hear that I was in fact a teacher!!

We were served delicious sandwiches and other treats out of the Home Ec. room which is a whole lot more modern than what I remember.
The girls were polite, helpful, happy, enthusiastic and proud of their school, probably not many adjectives there could describe how I felt in high school!!!
It was a wonderful trip down memory lane and a very well organised, pleasant afternoon.

(The pool where I spent many an afternoon!)

No comments: