Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Traffic Department.

A few months ago I discovered that my drivers license card had expired. Not only had it expired, it had expired in June 2008!! Oops!
I have, for the past few months, had every good intention of visiting the traffic department to renew it but the thought of visiting the traffic department does not hold pleasant memories for me. It never ceases to frustrate me with it's antiquated and inefficient ways. The thought of going there is enough to make me want to cry and the thought of going there with even 1 child leaves me pale and so it was that about 6 months went by and I still hadn't been which meant that I was knowingly driving without a license and therefore illegally (well it was illegal even when I didn't know but you know what I mean).

Monday morning - the first day of the holidays, was going to be the day but Monday came and went and the traffic department didn't feature on the invisible list of things to do. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday also came and went and finally on Friday I decided it HAD to be done. So I set off with 2 children to the pharmacy down the road to have photo's taken. While there my dad offered to look after Abigail which meant I could go with just 1 child which was MUCH better so I jumped at the offer!!
At about 10 a.m. we arrived at the traffic department, waited in a line to get the relevant forms only to be told that they do not accept debit cards. So with the forms in my hand I got back in the car and drove (illegally) to the petrol station round the corner to draw the money.
Finally, with everything I needed (as well as 2 stuffed toys, 1 blue blanket, 2 bottles of juice, 1 packet of Niknaks and about 8 books) I joined the back of the line for the next part of the procedure - the eye test. It's never a good sign when the 36 seat chair-queue is FULL!
It took about 50 minutes to get to the front of that queue for a 50 second eye test. After being fingerprinted I had to join another queue - this one probably had about 20 people in front of me! All in all it took about 2 hours - which as traffic departments go is not bad, but I just have to ask this question: has that floor EVER seen a mop and a bucket of water?! Niave spent quite a lot of time on that floor, despite my constant pleas for her to get off it - there really is nowhere else to go if you are 3 and have been queuing for 2 hours. She actually did really well, she didn't get lost and she didn't have a tantrum - which is what I felt like having and she sat on my lap and listened to stories for a large portion of the time. But she was filthy by the time we left. I was very glad to have just bought 2 packs of wet wipes - I gave her a bath in the car!! I felt so grimy when I left - if they let a bunch of pathologists loose in there they'd probably discover 11 new diseases. Yuck, it is a gross place. But, I have a temporary license in my possession and after my card arrives I only have to go back there in 5 years time (in my case 6 and a half!!) and by then Niave will be old enough to keep herself off the floor.
Oh boy, just had a thought - in 10 years time we'll be taking Abigail there for her drivers license! Hang on, in 10 years time I will need to be doing another renewal - we can kill 2 birds with one stone!!!!!

No comments: