Monday, November 24, 2008

The weekend ad(d)-nauseum!!

This past weekend was not one of my best.

It started on Wednesday after the prize-giving, I felt really tired and by that night all my joints and lower back were sore. I went to bed really early as I couldn't keep my eyes open!
Thursday was really hot so that didn't help the tiredness and Thursdays are generally very busy so after all the rushing around by 2:30 I was feeling really grim:(
I just made it home and went straight to lie down as I was feeling really nauseous.
The funny part of the story was that on the way home we had been listening to the news of a devastating fire in Hout Bay that destroyed at least 50 shacks (that wasn't the funny part), when I stepped out of the car at home I thought "gee, we can smell the fire all the way over here" only to find my husband had lit a fire to braai the sausage I had taken out for supper! Now this may not seem like a big deal to you but believe me it is for us!
Grant used to be the "braai guy" (we have a friend who was the "potjie boytjie"!) but since being in a wheelchair braai's are a bit awkward and we really need to have one custom made, but he felt like having a braai so he put up with the pain and we ended up having sausage and pork chops! That was a huge relief to me because the last thing I felt like doing was cooking.

Friday was no better and I ended up getting sick at school. Not fun. The kids were so sweet, we spent most of the morning inside as I just couldn't bear the heat. They really love being outside but they didn't complain at all. I managed to make it to 12:00 and went straight inside to lie down.

This was not how I planned this weekend at all. Abigail had a dancing show on Friday night and a camp out on Saturday and the way I felt I didn't think I would make either.

Grant had managed to get Niave to sleep which is not usually an easy task and my parents fetched her for swimming shortly after she woke up so I didn't have to hop up every 5 minutes to check what sort of havoc she was causing!! (She can cause some havoc!!)

The next task was to get Abigail's hair and make-up done and get her and us to the school by 5:15. Well, we managed and I even managed to stay for the entire show which I wasn't counting on so that was really good as it is was a brilliant show. These kids are amazing.

Here is a picture of what Abs costume looked like. (We weren't allowed to take pic's of the actual show, there was a professional photographer.)


(you can see how off balance I must have been, it's a dreadful photo! Out of focus and all!!)

On Saturday morning I woke up feeling a little better but by lunch time I was flat on my back again. So the camp out was definitely off. Abigail was so disappointed that my Dad agreed to camp out in the back garden with her.



We only found out the next morning that the whole event was cancelled due to wind and rain predicted for overnight! So she had her camp out anyway!! Niave also spent the night (not in the tent!) so I had a slow morning on Sunday which helped a lot. I felt a bit more normal but not quite right.

This morning Abigail had to go to school dressed as a character from a book. No prizes for guessing what Abigail chose... Snow White of course and she was well kitted out thanks to Bev and Marks and Spencer's!!

They had visits from South African authors and did some related activities which I am still trying to get out of her!! She ended off the day with an end-of-year dancing party with swimming and lots to eat!!

I went off to the doctor this afternoon to get to the bottom of the nausea and it is, apparently, a virus affecting the vestibular area of the middle ear.
Some great anti-nausea tablets and I feel normal again!!
Ugh, there is nothing worse than nausea!
A big THANK YOU to Ouma and Oupa for saving the weekend! It would have been a disaster without you:)

No comments: