Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Abigail's Awards Ceremony

Today was the Awards Ceremony at Greenfield for the grade 1-3's.
Each child receives a certificate for the areas in which they have achieved or shown progress. Some are awarded extra things like colours if they have done well in an extra mural e.g gymnastics, dancing etc.

This is a far cry from the prize givings of yester-year where a select few were awarded prizes and the rest of us had to sit through the l-o-o-o-o-n-g ceremony.
My experience of receiving prizes and certificates is very limited!! Let me tell you the story, it's both sad and humorous!
Throughout my primary school career I never received a cup or certificate or anything - I wasn't very good at anything except causing trouble!!
Then in std 5 (grade 7) we all had to take part in the Scholar Patrol to help our fellow pupils cross the road from Harfield rd station safely.
At the end of that year, at final assembly, every std 5 girl was awarded a certificate for their involvement in this duty.
Imagine my excitement when I realized I was FINALLY going to have a certificate to my name!
Each girl was called up to receive theirs - but my name wasn't called. At the end I was left standing at the back of the hall -the only std 5 girl, all alone.
My certificate was stuck inside the envelope and nobody realized!
I did get it in the end but not up on the stage like everybody else!!
Anyway, I'm very glad that these days teachers realize they need to acknowledge everybody -even if finding something positive is very hard!

Here is Abigail receiving her award.

Some of the grade 1's displaying their certificates.

The certificate!

That was the first event in a very busy week!

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Debbie, this is such a sad story of reward for you. It must have been dreadful. That kind of thing just want to make me cry and protect my kids from something so traumatic for them... I'm glad you managed to get over it...
Well done for Abigail though! Way to go girl!! :)