Wednesday, June 27, 2012

A Birthday.

I love having my birthday in June, slap, bang in the middle of the year, I know it's winter where I live, but actually I've recently decided that I like winter the best! Summer in Cape Town is great but that wind, and that heat, it's so much easier to warm up than it is to cool down!
Anyway, this year my friend, Mandy and I made a pact: with our birthday's 8 days apart we would meet at The Mount Nelson Hotel for High Tea on the Saturday between her birthday and mine. 
And we stuck to it like glue, come rain, hail or tornado, you would've found us sipping our tea at The Old Nellie!!


The Saturday in question turned out to be the most wonderfully warm and beautiful day, we sat on the terrace and enjoyed the jokes of our waiter as he introduced us to the Tea Ceremony - quite a precise affair!!
Note the egg timer - each different kind of tea has to draw for a stipulated amount of time, we'd get chatting only to have our funny waiter come back and ask us how long our tea had been drawing...oops! But it was good anyway, I tasted/tested 3 different kinds, not thinking I'd really taste a difference but they have their own flavours for sure, the "House" tea has a "secret" ingredient...we were asked to guess and you can very definitely taste and smell the rose petals from the Mount Nelson rose garden!


We chatted, and laughed, and chatted some more and enjoyed the delicious cakes and eats on offer.
It was a wonderful afternoon to catch up and have uninterrupted conversations - something mom's don't get very often...
Mmmmmm!

No comments: